R/GA Australia are looking for a talented and pro-active Technology Lead to join the Sydney office and help push the current Technology offering to the next level of excellence. Based in Sydney, but working across both offices, this role will work with the Executive Technology director in Sydney and Melbourne Technology lead to drive innovation and opportunities across our portfolio of clients.
Technology projects at R/GA come in many forms - creative technology, platforms, prototypes, and consultancy. The technology and creative partnership is a key differentiator for our clients. Creativity is a core requirement of our technologists and technology awareness is a core requirement of our creatives.
A Technology Lead (TL) is part of the R/GA Technology team, a team of perpetual problem solvers who are always seeking new and innovative ways to help bring products and services to life. A TL functions as the connective tissue between multiple disciplines and must partner with Experience Strategists, Experience Designers, Systematic Designers, Product and Technology Directors to define and deliver solutions for our clients and do so in a disciplined and rigorous way.
On any given day you might:
- Grow, manage and support a mixed team of local or remote software engineers and QA specialists.
- Influence ideation, handle feasibility conversations and prototype concepts in collaboration with other engineers and designers.
- Recommend to internal technology stakeholders and client stakeholders (technical and non-technical) the appropriate process, technology architecture and frameworks to bring experiences to life.
- Advise on resourcing mix to execute projects.
- Understand team (individual and collective) strengths and weaknesses and balance workload and tasks accordingly to promote best results.
- Estimate work time and effort with precision.
- Manage sprint process, daily tasks, and team workload efficiently, while communicating progress, blockers, and goals clearly with the bigger team.
- Carry out regular code reviews, enforce coding best practices, source control and deliverables.
- Jump on hands-on coding to help developers in the team to get tasks done and remove blockers.
- Constantly enforce cutting-edge, well-crafted, high-quality, modern code from each engineer in your team.
- Enforce clear, cohesive, comprehensive and well-written technical documentation at all times, in-code files and external documentation (diagrams, technical design document, technical approach, summary deckware).
- Enforce security guidelines around code writing, documentation, non-disclosure agreements and client confidentiality at all times.
- Educate and inspire technical teams with emerging technologies, frameworks, and tools.
- Educate and inspire non-technical teams around the use of technology.
- Collaborate with staff from the greater R/GA network on local or remote projects. Create user stories and define acceptance criteria to ensure we are delivering a complete solution against product requirements
- Work with designers to review wireframes and designs and ensure they fulfill feature requirements and account for scenarios and edge cases.
- Collaborate with solutions architects to aid in performing evaluations against possible solutions and integrations
- Partner closely with QA engineers to ensure that acceptance criteria of user stories is being properly met and verified throughout the development process.
- Work with the Technology Director and engineering team to verify feasibility and technical needs and dependencies around feature specs and product requirements.
- Helping the Technology Director identify and understand new opportunities with existing and new clients.
The Ideal Person
- Understands technical architecture and infrastructure concepts, such as Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), microservices, cloud solutions, etc.
- Is fluent in interpreting API documentation, analyzing data objects (JSON/XML), and understanding data models
- Is well versed in multiple technology verticals, such as Mobile, CRM, eCommerce, CMS, Social, Analytics, Ad Tech, and DAM
- Is business-oriented and strategic; understands how features and dependencies impact overall business goals and add value to users
- Has strong oral and written communication skills, and can convey information in a clear and concise manner
- Has experience developing functional user requirements, content authoring requirements and guidelines
- Has excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Is well versed in design process and collaborating with creatives/designers
- Is comfortable working within design/prototyping tools such as figma, sketch, invision, whimsical, zeplin and others to reference designs and provide annotations
- Can translate data into meaningful and actionable recommendations
- Ability to handle multiple, complex projects in a deadline-driven environment
- Is outspoken and highly collaborative, acting as an active participant in shaping the culture and ways of working for cross-functional teams
What you must have:
- Expert level experience with front-end technologies (HTML, CSS, and JS).
- Expert level experience with modern server-side programming languages such as NodeJS and/or Python.
- Expert level experience implementing responsive and adaptive web solutions.
- Expert level experience integrating RESTful Web services and 3rd party APIs.
- Expert level experience developing with modern front-end frameworks (React, VueJS, Angular JS, Vanilla JS).
- Expert level experience setting up and managing development workflows using task runners such as Yarn and Webpack.
- Expert level experience with Git.
- Excellent knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, good SEO and performance criteria.
- Good knowledge of CMS/eCommerce platforms such as Contentful, Prismic, Sitecore, Adobe Experience Cloud, Shopify, Magento.
- Good knowledge of Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment processes and tools (BitBucket/GitLab pipelines, Jenkins).
- Good knowledge of integrating front-end experiences with modern or legacy
- Experience managing an engineering team or leading projects with multiple engineers.
What you may additionally have:
- Experience working with remote teams (city to city / country to country).
- Experience working with enterprise CMS solutions such as Sitecore.
- Knowledge of cloud platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud Platform or Alibaba Cloud.
- Knowledge of mobile app development languages such as React Native, Swift or Kotlin.
- Knowledge of Unit Testing and Test-Driven Development.
- Knowledge of conversational interfaces & technologies such as VoiceFlow, DialogFlow or equivalent solutions.
- Interest in data and machine learning.
- Experience working closely with designers.
- 6+ years' experience in an engineering position.
- Constant learner and passion for your field.
- English speaking and excellent communication skills.
- Bachelor degree in computer science or related field.
No-matter who you are, where you’re from, who you love, follow in faith, disability (or superpower) status, ethnicity or the gender you identify with (please do tell us your pronouns), you're welcome at R/GA. If you have any requests or requirements to support you throughout any interview process, please do let us know.
- Experience with Agile methodologies and tools
- Previous experience working with cross-functional teams to deliver enterprise-scale digital products and platforms