In R/GA’s 40-year history, we’ve changed a lot—from a culture-defining film title studio (Superman, Alien, Ghostbusters); to an interactive advertising agency; to an award-winning product and marketing agency with design, technology, communications, ventures and IP practices. We like change, and like to navigate our clients through it too.
Our approach to work is always human-first. This unwavering focus helps us create meaningful and memorable experiences that live across digital platforms and often blur-the-line between the digital and real world. We believe disruptive thinking happens when you collide experts in strategy, creative, technology, and culture.
Our strategists create the insight-fueled direction that enables brands to succeed in the connected age. They work closely with R/GA’s media, marketing science, technology, design, and creative talents in a truly collaborative environment. They are thought leaders who present new perspectives in the clearest, most meaningful way. And their recommendations drive everything from creative campaigns and digital presence to innovation for brands.
Here’s what you should know should you want to be the Executive Strategy Director on Verizon:
Reporting directly into the VP Head of Strategy for R/GA NY, the Executive Strategy Director for Verizon is responsible for the strategic output of one of America’s most iconic brands, spanning product launches (like iPhone or 5G) to big cultural moments (like Super Bowl or Oscars) to big commercial initiatives (like rethinking their mobile plans). The role is close to a strategy head in a smaller agency as the account generates as much work and as much revenue as the entirety of some agencies, so we are looking for a senior strategy leader who is hungry for a brand that they can really sink their teeth into.
The right candidate will be equal parts visionary leader, buttoned-up operator, and multidisciplinary collaborator. You will need to be as comfortable leading high-level, vision-setting conversations with senior internal and external leaders as you are rolling up your sleeves with your team to craft the compelling strategy that brings your vision to life. You will lead an interdisciplinary team of brand, comms, data, influencer, and experience strategists who will be at your disposal, but you will need the knowledge of each discipline and the management skills to make the most of them. Your output will be exciting and varied, from building a cultural partnership platform to developing a data-first approach to identifying and converting prospects. You may not be an expert in all of these things but a willingness to learn and enthusiasm for them is a must.
Verizon is R/GA’s largest account with multiple work streams which can be full-on at times. You won’t have to do this alone, you will be surrounded by a senior team of G-level account, creative, and production talent. This is an amazing opportunity to make work that the world will see, with the kind of budgets that most brands could only dream of and the scale that impacts both the business and consumers. If that sounds like your kind of thing, please get in touch, we can’t wait to meet you!
More specifically, on any given day you might:
- Set the future direction for one of the biggest brands in America
- Set the commercial and audience context for major campaigns, initiatives, and new business directions
- Collaborate with account leads to guide our most senior clients, including the CMO, towards bold and innovative solutions
- Partner with managing directors and ECDs to lead the Verizon business
- Partner with the Global Chief Creative Officer to sell in an idea to Verizon’s CMO that will change their business
- Direct the talent of a team of up to ten strategists across brand, social and connections, from junior to director level
- Oversee the briefs and output of the strategy team in the group
The ideal person would have:
- A track record of breakthrough strategic direction and creative output for major brands and businesses
- A strategic thinker who inspires very senior creatives and very senior clients
- An integrated thinker, who can sync up brand strategy, communications, content, acquisition, retail, and user experience
- A leader who can mobilize people internally and work well with CMO clients
- A people manager who can inspire and nurture talent in the group
- A true collaborator, comfortable working iteratively with different disciplines in a fast-moving workplace
- Well versed in today’s media and technology environment: including social platforms, mobile, data, online advertising
- Intellect; fluency in social and cultural trends, technology, and marketing theory
- Enough experience of different strategic disciplines to harness the range of strategic talent at R/GA and recommend how the company solves client problems
- Experience of consultancy, business strategy, service design and innovation is an advantage
- 12+ years’ experience leading innovative strategy and developing big campaigns, platforms and innovations.