At R/GA, strategy sits at the intersection of brand, business, culture, user and media approaches to solve brand problems. Strategists reflect R/GA’s purpose: to create a more human future, by guiding brands with both a high level of technological innovation and a high level of human values.
R/GA’s Brand Design and Consulting team believes brands act as Operating Systems for organizations. More than marketing, a strong brand informs business decisions, customer experience, product roadmaps, and internal culture.
We take an interdisciplinary approach that unlocks rigorous brand strategies, integrated design systems (visual, verbal and behavioral) and dynamic playbooks that drive brand activation, application, and optimization over time—because just like an OS, a brand should be iterative and responsive – evolving over time.
Strategy Directors in Brand Design and Consulting are the day-to-day owner of projects, which includes both the client recommendation and the narrative required to sell-in that recommendation. Directors orchestrate multidisciplinary input, and connect thinking from multiple functional areas into cohesive, relevant and actionable narratives. Directors play a critical management role in the Brand Design and Consulting function (either directly or indirectly) and actively coach and motivate junior members of the team to achieve project results.
Here’s what you should know if you want to be a Strategy Director in Brand Design and Consulting:
On any given day you might
- Prepare a research plan or workshop exercises for a project kickoff meeting
- Articulate project/deliverable needs to junior strategists and guide their work
- Identify, source, and consolidate key internal and external stakeholder perspectives
- Own the strategic narrative that weaves together findings from a variety of sources
- Provide constructive feedback to junior and senior team members across disciplines
- Translate insights into recommendations for the brand and the business as a whole
- Forge relationships with internal specialists in marketing science, media, research and technology to answer a strategic question
- Directly interact with clients in a variety of industries across B2C and B2B sectors
The ideal person
- Demonstrates command of the broad range of brand building blocks including: purpose, value proposition, brand architecture, positioning, messaging, etc.
- Performs primary research and/or manages a research partner across a range of methodologies—quantitative and qualitative, online and offline
- Proactively takes ownership for linking corporate and brand strategy, and translating that strategy for product, design and experience
- Independently manages communications with day-to-day clients (often alongside client services or production teammates)
- Is eager to manage and develop talent—providing timely and specific feedback and tying that to goals and larger development themes
- Is innately curious and comfortable with ambiguity, asks insightful questions and can take leaps when necessary, challenges the status quo of branding
- 8+ years’ experience in brand strategy, corporate branding, brand management, etc.
- High EQ skills
- Client experience across industries and B2B + B2C sectors
- Brand strategy experience across disciplines including media, CRM, innovation, social media or working for a brand owner