Technology is woven into all of R/GA’s offerings, from consulting to marketing innovation, to digital product and service creation and R/GA Ventures. The department operates as a horizontal across the R/GA global network, affording clients and partners scale and flexibility in tapping into diverse talent. The department is broadly focused primarily on delivering software solutions that enable rich consumer experiences, from flagship mobile and web apps to advanced analytics and machine learning, to marketing and commerce platforms. Inherent throughout our tech capabilities is deep expertise in the Software Development Life Cycle, including DevOps, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery, and Product Development methodologies, along with a drive for creativity, a high level of craft, and collaboration with other disciplines - all foundational ingredients in successful digital transformation and client partnerships.
As a Technology Director at R/GA, your role is to manage engineering teams in delivering successful projects as well as play a cross-functional role in driving successful client partnerships alongside our leaders in Design, Strategy, and Production, among others. Your success is measured by how well software projects are delivered, how well your engineering teams performed, how well you partnered with peers in other disciplines to push the work to be the best it could be, and how well you partnered with clients to drive the business and provide technical expertise and strategic technical input. The role is a mix of “going deep” with our engineering teams as well as “going wide” across the breadth and diversity of work and services we provide to clients.
Here’s what you should know if you want to be a Technology Director at R/GA:
On any given day, you might
- Grow and manage a team of software engineers and QA specialists.
- Collaborate with staff from the greater R/GA network on local or remote projects.
- Collaborate in the design enterprise architecture solutions for world class clients in a creatively-driven global agency
- Influence ideation, handle feasibility conversations and prototype concepts in collaboration with other engineers and designers.
- Recommend to internal technology stakeholders and client stakeholders (technical and non-technical) the appropriate process, and front-end framework to bring experiences to life.
- Establish and oversee processes for software development.
- Review and set up best practices and approaches for teams
- Be able to jump in to help with coding or reviewing and managing pull requests for the engineering teams as needed
- Interact and present in front of senior clients and potential clients
- Negotiate and resolve occasional business conflicts and address organizational challenges and evolving accountability
- Develop trust and close relationships with mid-level and operational client stakeholders and partners
- Educate and inspire technical teams with emerging technologies, frameworks, and tools.
- Educate and inspire non-technical teams around the use of technology.
- Mentor engineers and support career growth for them
The Ideal Person
- Holds previous technology leadership or consulting experience
- Can identify and communicate how technical solutions can strategically enable or evolve a client’s business
- Helps senior agency colleagues drive new business and agency growth
- Demonstrable leadership abilities in changing, ambiguous and challenging situations
- Excellent presentation, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- In-depth understanding of technical issues related to web, mobile, and backend development across a variety of stacks
- Mastery-level experience with front-end technologies (HTML, CSS, and JS).
- Mastery-level experience implementing responsive and adaptive web solutions.
- Mastery-level experience integrating RESTful Web services and 3rd party APIs.
- Mastery-level experience developing with modern front-end frameworks (React, VueJS, Angular JS, Vanilla JS).
- 8+ years of professional work experience in web, mobile and emerging platforms, ideally in large-scale management of high traffic customer-facing digital products and services
- Previous technology leadership or consulting experience
- Understanding of cloud computing applications and platforms
- Understanding of mobile application development, iOS and Android
- Strong grasp of digital technologies and architectural principles necessary for designing scalable, extensible and maintainable web applications and services
- A collaborative attitude and can be a self-initiator